Cold and Flu Prevention
#coldandfluseason is well underway, but it is never too late to start thinking about prevention!
Washing your hands and avoiding the people who have already become sick may not be enough. Not to mention how hard it is to avoid coming in contact with those tricky germs. Did you know that flu germs can survive on surfaces for up to 24 hours?
So what can you do to ensure your body’s natural defenses are working at their best?
1. Stay hydrated: Our kidneys and lymph system are both involved in removing toxins and bacteria from our bodies and work optimally when we are adequately hydrated. Not getting enough water makes it that much easier for bacteria to enter our systems.
2. Get enough sleep: Most people are not getting enough! Sleep is a time for your body to heal and regenerate and many studies have shown that people who get 8 hours of sleep a night are less likely to catch colds and flus compared to those who are not sleeping as much.
3. Eat nutrient dense foods: Including a variety of fruits and vegetables means that you are getting a variety of vitamins and minerals too, which are very important for optimal functioning of the immune system. Avoiding sugar is important too!
4. Stay active: Incorporating regular exercise into your routine will not only benefit your waistline. Exercise can help to reduce inflammation and stress which are both capable of decreasing the body’s ability to fight off infection. Be careful, intense exercise may actually stress the body and lead to a decrease in the body’s immune power!
5. Consider supplementation to jumpstarts your body’s natural immunity: There are tons of vitamins, minerals and herbs that can be used to boost the immune system. It is important to talk to your Naturopathic Doctor to determine the best option for you.
I would be more than happy to work together to optimize the power of your immune system and keep you going all winter long! Call Osteoathletic at 289-851-6511, or visit their website to book online today (link in bio). #naturalmedicine#naturopathicdoctor #miltonnd #immunity#coldandflu